Summer is here, well almost, and schools will be out soon. The combination makes for long lazy days, beaches, walks and absolutely no cooking 🙂 on days like these when we’re sick of smoothies, Dosa is a quick fix. I soak all the stuff right in the Vitamix overnight, blend it before we leave for work the next day and let it sit in the Vitamix till evening and pour it from the Vitamix right into the pan. Pan to paper plates to stomach. no mess, no fuss, no dish to wash 🙂 yes yes I know environmentally bad. but then laziness gets in the way.
This recipe is a Dosa using toor dal. which is different ( at least to me). it’s a mishmash of recipes from many sources, MIL, Aunt, etc., I’ve tweaked it to tone down the spice. I also add a carrot to it sometimes. to up the health quotient. This is very tasty with peanut chutney (which we rarely get around to )
On the garden front,
- Still no sign of Brussels sprouts, only giant plants with leaves.
- Lots and lots and lots of kale. giving it away to anyone and everyone.
- Beans coming up, okra doing well
- Strawberries miraculously came up ( this is Teen R’s project) how he managed to get them alive god only knows. He has them in a patio planter, that child has one heck of a green thumb.
- Zucchini, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Pepper plants still growing, so far nothing dead, hope the trend continues.
Parboiled rice – 1 cup
Raw rice – 3/4 cup
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Tomatoes – 2-3
Red chilies – 3
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Curry leaves – few
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Soak the lentil and rice for couple hours, Blend everything together to Dosa batter consistency, cook and eat .
- I don’t ferment this overnight, I do leave it out for a few hours, but it’s not required.
- Add a few spoons of yogurt to thin this and to sour it up more.